Nevada Addiction Treatment and Info
Nevada is famed for its various attractions. However, many people living here also struggle with substance abuse and addiction issues. This is in spite of the fact that the state has several licensed and accredited addiction treatment and rehabilitation programs in place.
Addiction in Nevada
Nevada, the Silver State, is widely known for the expansive Sierra Nevada mountains, the Mojave Desert, and Lake Tahoe. It also has a population of more than 3 million residents.
In spite of all that the state has to offer, there are many people here who struggle with substance abuse and addiction. From 2010 to 2015, for instance, Nevada reported 2752 drug overdoses involving opioids. at the end of this study period, it was in the 4th position in terms of the drug overdoses that turned out to be fatal.
Although Nevada continues attracting tens of millions of tourists every year, there are still many substances of abuse in the state. In terms of alcohol abuse, for instance, the CDC - the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention - has ranked Nevada among the top 10 states with high rates of alcohol use.
25.6 percent of the residents of Nevada who live within the Las Vegas metro area also reported that they engaged in binge drinking in the past year. This was according to a report released by the NSDUH - the National Survey on Drug Use and Health.
Other figures relating to the rates of drug use in this state include:
- In 2011, research findings showed that 3.45 percent of the residents of Nevada were dependent on illicit substances
- More than 10 percent of the residents of this state abused an illicit drug at least once in 2015
- More than 233000 people living in the expansive Las Vegas metro area reported that they had abused illicit substances in the year before the study
- Nevada is ranked 3rd across the nation in terms of the rates of dependence on illicit drugs among its residents
- Nevada was ranked among the 10 states that had the highest rates of drug abuse in the United States
The Nevada Opioid Epidemic
All across the United States, many people abuse opioids - such as synthetic fentanyl, illicit heroin, and prescription opioid medications such as hydrocodone and oxycodone. Some of these people live in Nevada - a state that has not been left behind by the ongoing American opioid crisis. some facts relating to the rates of opioid abuse in this state include:
- In 2014, the state lost 545 lives to a drug overdose involving opioids
- Nevada was ranked in the 2nd place in terms of the abuse of hydrocodone (Vicodin) and oxycodone (OxyContin)
Commonly Abused Substances in Nevada
But which are the drugs that have been causing the greatest number of problems among the residents of Nevada? Consider the following information relating to the admissions that were reported in drug and alcohol rehab centers across the state:
Although alcohol has been leading to fewer admissions in drug rehabs, a total of 2602 people were treated for abusing this substance in 2010. Another 1520 people received similar recovery services for abusing alcohol with another secondary drug.
The same year, Nevada reported that 606 people were admitted in an addiction treatment and rehabilitation center for abusing cocaine through smoking. Another 187 people received these services for abusing the drug through other routes of administration.
In 2010, a total of 888 people enrolled in a drug and alcohol rehab program in Nevada for abusing heroin. Of this number, 31 percent were female while the remaining 69 percent were male. People between the ages of 21 and 25 years comprised the largest population seeking such treatment.
That year too, 1536 people checked into addiction treatment and rehabilitation programs in the state for abusing marijuana. Most of these people were between the ages of 12 and 17 years - showing just how serious the teen marijuana abuse problem has become in Nevada.
5. Stimulants and Amphetamines
As we mentioned above, stimulants were responsible for the greatest number of admissions in drug rehabs in Nevada. In 2010, for instance, 1896 people were admitted into these programs for abusing stimulants such as amphetamines. Of this number, 52.4 percent were female while the remaining 47.6 percent were male.
6. Prescription Drugs
As the rest of the United States continues struggling with rising rates of prescription drug abuse, a total of 545 people were admitted into professional drug rehabs in Nevada for abusing opioids. other drugs, however, were also responsible for additional admissions - including over the counter medications, inhalants, hallucinogens, and sedatives.
Drug Related Fatalities and Injuries in Nevada
Drug use was the direct cause of 515 deaths in this state in 2007. The same year, Nevada lost 407 lives to motor car accidents while another 414 people died in incidents involving firearms.
Studies have reported that methamphetamine is the greatest drug threat for the state. In 2010, for instance, the Clark County Gang task force was able to seized a total of 17 pounds of the drug before it was distributed across the state. Additionally, the Northern Nevada Interdiction Task Force seized another 19-pound consignment of meth that was about to be distributed in the city of Reno.
Addiction Prevention in Nevada
The rates of illicit substance abuse are so high in Nevada that it has been ranked in the top 10 position. These numbers have been driven up by heroin, marijuana, Xanax, OxyContin, and Vicodin.
To this end, the state has been liaising with SAMHSA - the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration - to create programs to offer addiction treatment, counseling, and support services.
There is also a 2-1-1 hotline in place that residents that call whenever they need any support services linked to drugs of abuse. Through this hotline, residents can also get information and other addiction resources.
Further, Nevada has established a round the clock text messaging hotline that can be accessed by anyone who need to talk to a professional crisis counselor. This provides direct help to people who are addicted or struggling with drug related issues.
Other agencies that have been working on preventing the rates of substance abuse in Nevada include:
- Nevada Division of Public and Behavioral Health
- Nevada Department of Health and Human Services
- Las Vegas Central Office of Alcoholics Anonymous
Like the rest of the United States, prescription drug abuse is a common problem in Nevada. To address this issue, the state has a prescription monitoring program in place that mostly targets substances in schedule IV, III, and II of the controlled substances act.
Finally, the state passed a Syringe Access Bill that now offers greater access to clean and sterilized syringes to addicts who take drugs intravenously. This harm reduction program is designed to reduce the risk of disease transmission among intravenous drug users. It also encourages the people who access the syringes to seek help from professional addiction recovery programs.
Addiction Treatment in Nevada
A total of 9909 people were admitted in an addiction treatment and rehabilitation center in Nevada for abusing alcohol and drugs. of this number, 34 percent were female while the remaining 66 percent were male.
About 9 percent of the residents of the state reported that they used illicit drugs within the previous month. Among the people who seek addiction treatment services, however, it seems that stimulants such as methamphetamine take up the greatest number of mentions.
Between 2007 and 2008, the state was also ranked among the top 10 in the nation for various drug abuse categories. These included but were not limited to:
- The abuse of illicit drugs among people above the age of 12 years
- The non-medical use of a pain relief medication in the past year among people above the age of 12 years
- The non-medical use of a pain relief medication in the past year among people between the ages of 18 and 25 years
Drug and alcohol abuse in the state has been varying over many different survey years. However, the figures reported for Nevada have always been at par or higher than those reported at the national level.
The N-SSATS - the National Survey of Substance Abuse Treatment Services - also reported that the state had a total of 77 addiction treatment and rehabilitation facilities in 2006. Of these centers, 15 were focused on inpatient addiction treatment while 9 had a professional opioid management program in place.
There are several high quality addiction treatment and rehabilitation programs in place in Nevada. They offer a wide variety of support and recovery services that can help you overcome your substance use disorder.
Most of these programs have the right training and licenses to address withdrawal symptoms, as well as manage physical, psychological, emotional, and behavioral dependence on substances of abuse.
While enrolled in an addiction treatment program, you may be able to benefit from the following services:
i) Medical Detox
The goal of medical detox is to manage any of the withdrawal symptoms and drug cravings that arise when you give up certain drugs of abuse. These symptoms might prove to be so painful that you end up deciding to continue abusing drugs instead of keeping up with your recovery goals.
This is because when you stop abusing drugs, you would probably already have developed physical dependence. As a result, your body will react in negative ways because it has become accustomed to the substances that you used to abuse.
This negativity will come in the form of these withdrawal symptoms. In a medically supervised detox program, you will receive the medical help you need to ensure that you do not suffer too much from these symptoms. Some will even offer medications to reduce these symptoms - and manage their effects on your body.
ii) Inpatient Drug Rehab
After detox, you can choose between inpatient and outpatient addiction treatment. in an inpatient drug rehab program, you will be provided with support, therapy, and medications in a highly immersive environment that you will live in for the entire duration of your treatment.
The time you spend in such a program will allow you to enjoy round the clock access to medical supervision, management, and care. It will also remove you from the triggers and environments that you have grown to associate with drugs and alcohol.
iii) Outpatient Drug Rehab
However, you can also opt for outpatient addiction treatment. this form of recovery offers the same services that you would typically find in an inpatient program. However, the only difference is that you will not be living at the recovery center.
In many cases, outpatient drug rehab is recommended as a step-down type of addiction care that you would go through after completing a professional inpatient rehab program - on a continuum of care.
However, you can use it as a stand-alone option especially if you have not been diagnosed with co-occurring disorders and your addiction is not severe enough to require inpatient hospitalization and addiction treatment.
That said, both inpatient and outpatient drug rehabs offer various recovery services that are similar, including but not limited to:
- 12 step and non-12 step support group meetings
- Aftercare programming
- Alumni services
- Behavioral therapies
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Communication skills
- Complementary therapies
- Coping techniques to address cravings
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Dual diagnosis addiction treatment
- Education support
- Employment assistance
- Equine therapy
- Exercise programs
- Family therapy
- Gender specific therapy
- Group counseling
- Individual counseling
- Life skills training
- Medication assisted treatment
- Motivational interviewing
- Nutrition education
- Specialized addiction treatment
- Stress management tools
- Substance abuse and addiction education
Irrespective of how your substance abuse and addiction started, it is recommended that you get help as soon as you realize that you have a drug or alcohol related problem. There are many programs in Nevada that can provide you with this help.
For more information about treatment centers in Nevada, Click Here.
Addiction counselors are familiar with the many types of programs offered and what is available in your area. They also can do an assessment with you and determine what treatment would be best for you or your loved one.
- How Do I Get My Loved One To A Drug Rehab After A Successful Intervention?
- How Do I Know If I Need To Stage A Drug Intervention?
- Should I Use A Professional Interventionist For My Loved One's Drug Intervention?
- Does Drug Substitution Work?
- How Do I Get Help For Someone Addicted To Meth?
- How Do I Help Someone Who Is Addicted To Heroin?
- How Do I Know If Dual Diagnosis Treatment Is Right For Me Or My Loved One?
- How Important Is Drug Detox Before Treatment?
- Are Prescription Drugs The Biggest Danger To Our Youth?
- Things To Look For If You Think Your Loved One Has An Addiction
- How Does Outpatient Treatment Work?
- Inpatient Versus Outpatient Treatment
- Why Commit To Long-Term Drug Rehab For Recovery?
- What To Expect In A Short-Term Rehab
- What is Holistic Drug Treatment And Its Benefits?
- What Is The Importance Of 12-Step Meetings For Addiction Recovery?
Cities with Drug Rehab Centers in Nevada
Select a City:
- Amargosa Valley
- Battle Mountain
- Blue Diamond
- Boulder City
- Cal Nev Ari
- Carson City
- Coyote Springs
- Crescent Valley
- Crystal Bay
- Incline Village
- Indian Springs
- Las Vegas
- Mc Dermitt
- Mc Gill
- Mountain City
- Nellis AFB
- North Las Vegas
- Paradise Valley
- Round Mountain
- Ruby Valley
- Silver City
- Silver Springs
- Spring Creek
- Sun Valley
- The Lakes
- Virginia City
- Washoe Valley
- West Wendover
- Zephyr Cove